Since I am always on the lookout for safer, effective and of course, affordable brands to try and recommend, I was very happy to be introduced to this line! Northport Naturals is a brand that is deeply passionate about the organic and natural movement and they strive to provide clean, effective and affordable skincare products that you can feel good about using!
One of the things I am trying to incorporate more into my skincare routine are masks, and with my reactive and sensitive skin, I generally need a good detoxifying one to help calm down redness and heal those pesky hormonal breakouts!
The owner of Northport Naturals was kind enough to send me his Detoxifying Clay Mask, and after using it for a few weeks, I am ready to give you the 411.
First of all, let’s talk about what’s in this! The list of ingredients includes 6 different clays, all wonderful for the skin – especially acne prone!
Let’s break them down:
- Calcium Bentonite Clay: Used for thousands of years to treat infections and various skin diseases, this clay is derived from volcanic ash and has strong antibacterial properties, making it great for acne prone skin. Bentonite clay is one of the most effective and powerfully healing clays out there and a good quality one should be cream or grey in color. Note: There have been concerns raised about bentonite clay being toxic due to lead content. I’ve spent quite a bit of time researching various sources on this and my conclusion is that since I am putting this on my face for a very brief time, I’m not going to stress myself out over it. One of my favorite articles on this is this one.
- Kaolin Clay: Used in skincare as a detoxifying and cleansing agent, this clay contains a high content of the “beauty mineral”, silica, and helps to remove impurities, toxins and excess oil from the skin.
- Magnesium Sulfate: An inorganic salt compound that contains magnesium, sulfur and oxygen (and is commonly known as Epsom salt), this ingredient helps to reduce inflammation and excess oil in the skin.
- Sea Clay: High in minerals, this clay draws out excess oil in the skin while also acting as a mild exfoliant.
- Rhassoul Clay: Mined in the Altas Mountains of Morocco, this mineral-rich clay has been used for over 1400 years as a beauty and personal care “product”, and can actually help replenish depleted minerals in the skin! This results in firmer, plumper and clearer skin. Rhassoul Clay also has antimicrobial properties, making it an effective ingredient for acne prone skin!
- Moroccan Clay: Also known as “Red Clay”, Moroccan Clay has potent antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, antiviral, antibacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties all which help to keep infection and inflammation at bay. This clay also gently detoxifies skin, without drying. It helps to re-balance skin while improving texture and elasticity.
- Rose Clay: A mild Kaolin Clay, Rose Clay is effective at drawing out impurities and toxins from the skin, without stripping the skin of moisture. It improves skin circulation by gently exfoliating.
As someone who continually suffers from acne, I am always looking to find products to help combat this issue. I’ve been wanting a good mask (to alternate with my Problem Solver) that is both detoxifying and hydrating, as my skin has a tendency to be both oily and dry at the same time! This mask seems to take care of each of these problems pretty well. It seems to balance out the excess oiliness, yet leaves my skin feeling soft after rinsing it off! Talk about a win win sitch! 🙂
Since my skin can be pretty sensitive, I only leave this on until it starts to dry, before rinsing it off in the shower. And because the clays in this are cleansing in nature, on the days that I use this, I treat this as my facial mask/cleanser/exfoliator by massaging it in like I would a regular cleanser.
The other thing I like about this mask is that you get quite a big bang for your buck! Seriously, this is filled to the brim with product, and you need so little of it to cover your face that it will last you a loooong time! $19 for 4oz
Overall, I feel this is a lovely (multi-tasking) mask that is a good choice for people who have oily and acne prone skin, and I would love to try more of their products in the future! 🙂
If you haven’t yet heard of tried anything by Northport Naturals, I highly recommend you do so!
Peace & Love,
*products were sent to me for review consideration, however, all opinions are my own.
**Affiliate links were used in this post