I love coffee in the mornings. It’s like life to me. However, since I learned I have adrenal & thyroid issues, I’ve been trying to find an alternative to my morning joe (because caffeine can make adrenal fatigue worse). Que sadness and crying…
Not wanting to give up my coffee completely, I first switched to a low acid organic decaf, but that doesn’t give me the energy I need to get through my day. And though I love tea (especially matcha green tea), I don’t always feel like drinking it every day.
Enter Macaccino, a coffee alternative made from roasted organic Peruvian maca root. Since I’ve used maca for a few years now & love it, I was pretty excited to give this beverage a try!
If you’ve never heard of or tried maca before, it’s an herb from the cruciferous family of plants (most specifically the species lepidium meyenii) & is a distant relative of the radish. Here are just some of the many benefits of this superfood:
- It’s rich in carbs, protein & fiber (important macronutrients)
- Contains vitamins & minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sulfur, iron, vitamins B1, B2, C, E & 20 different amino acids, sterols & more
- Contains trace amounts of zinc & selenium (good for the skin!)
- Used for thousands of years to treat a wide variety of illnesses like menstrual issues, menopause, sexual dysfunction, low libido, cardiovascular disease, exhaustion, malnutrition, skin problems, anemia, anxiety, stress, mood disorders, eating disorders, fatigue, depression, memory problems, tuberculosis, and more.
- Improves blood flow
- Balances the body’s muscular, lymphatic, nervous & cardiovascular systems
- Alkalizing in the body
Learn more benefits of maca here.
Macaccino products are:
- 100% organic
- Made without any pesticides
- Good hot or cold
- Conserves water (one cup requires 32 oz of water vs coffee’s 8.5 gallons)
My thoughts on the product:
I was sent the Original Mocha Macaccino which is a blend of organic roasted maca, organic cocoa powder, organic mesquite powder, organic cinnamon & organic nutmeg. The flavor is rich and chocolatey with a hint of bitterness to it – it tastes like coffee & hot chocolate had a baby and this is the result. And as delish as that sounds, the first time I tried it, I wasn’t sure if I liked it! Determined to find a way to enjoy this, I added a bit more stevia & almond milk the next time I made it and that helped to balance out the bitter notes and now I am obsessed! I haven’t tried it cold, as I prefer hot drinks with my breakfast, though I am sure it’s good! 😉
While drinking this daily, I definitely noticed an increase in energy, but also less bloat, less stress, and better sleep! I have always believed in finding ways in nature to heal my body and if it is something that not only works for the issues I am dealing with, but tastes good as well, then that’s even better!
Price – $23.95 (makes 30 cups)
Ingredients – Organic Roasted Maca, Organic Cocoa Powder, Organic Mesquite Powder, Organic Cinnamon, Organic Nutmeg
Preparation: Mix and enjoy. No brewing required.
Have you guys ever tried Macaccino? Do you use maca root at all? Let me know your thoughts!
Peace & love,
*Product was sent to me for review consideration. Opinions are my own.