I remember a time when choices were limited when it came to natural or green beauty (I’m talking about back in the 70’s and 80’s). And not only were there only a few brands to choose from, but performance was definitely lacking – I remember the products I tried not even coming close to measuring up to the drugstore brands in terms of color and coverage. Boy, are those days long gone! Not only has green beauty grown in selection, but the ingredient quality and performance have also greatly improved – in fact, far surpassing their conventional counterparts. But with so many options now out there, it makes it hard to find a favorite or to even stick with just one brand. And if you are like me, you want to try them all!!
For the past several months, I have been a very busy little green beauty blogger – trying and testing out lots and lots of amazing new brands and over the next few posts, I am going to be sharing with you my favorites. 🙂
Today, I’m going to focus on 5 new (to me) brands and the products I loved the most from each.
Known previously as Caru Skincare Co., Apoterra is an NYC based brand that is dedicated to helping to solve many of the issues that plague adult skin – like dryness, acne and premature aging. They use a holistic approach and do it in a transparent and sustainable way. They make good for you and the planet skincare products that are not only effective but affordable as well. And all of their beautiful creations are handcrafted with care and are a delightful combination of herbalism, aromatherapy, and science.
I fell in love with this brand after using only 3 of their products ( I’ve gushed about them several or more times here on TBE and Instagram!) and I definitely want to explore more that they have to offer. 🙂
My current faves are:
- Activated Charcoal + Dead Sea Salt Complexion Soap – I don’t normally wash my face with soap, but when I do, it’s always black clay or activated charcoal to keep breakouts in check, and this one is at the top of my list of faves. Made with activated charcoal (charcoal that is treated with oxygen which binds to & removes dirt & impurities more effectively), tea tree essential oil, neem oil and dead sea salts, this cleanses skin without drying it out all the while fighting acne blemishes for a more clear complexion! $12.50
- Neroli Clarifying Toner w/ Vitamin C + Green Tea – I’m one of those people that needs to have a toner in my routine – and I am super picky about my toners (a little-known fact about me)! I need a toner that is not only suitable for my acne prone skin but that hydrates and offers some anti-aging benefits as well. Well, this one from Apoterra gives me all of that in one beautiful bottle. It’s packed full of skin beautifying ingredients that work to tone, plump, hydrate, clarify and nourish. Ingredients like neroli, thyme, and willow bark fight off breakouts, while aloe soothes any redness, green tea fights aging free radicals, and vitamin C helps to promote collagen and maintain elasticity. I use this morning and night and am completely obsessed (I’m also almost completely out, so I need to replenish soon!). $39
- Night Clarifying Treatment with Chamomile + Seabuckthorn – This has so many of my favorite ingredients that it’s hard to even know where to begin! First of all, if you have acne, or just want to have a more radiant complexion, then this is definitely worth checking out! Prickly pear seed, seabuckthorn berry, and pomegranate oils provide antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamins to help heal, brighten and rejuvenate, while tamanu and tea tree oils fight acne-causing bacteria (plus tamanu is a scar healing superstar!), sugar extract (which is a natural form of glycolic acid) exfoliates and unclogs pores, and CoQ10 helps boost collagen production for better skin elasticity. Used as a night time treatment, this definitely gives my skin a more youthful and radiant glow by morning. And any breakouts I may have had were greatly reduced. Repurchase? Yes! $45
Taking an East meets West approach to skincare, Sinensis offers products that are rich in both botanical and science extracts, incorporate Chinese herbs according to Chinese Medicine Theory, and are free from all potentially toxic ingredients (see their banned 20 here). After learning about them, I was excited to try some of their products.
Here are my top faves:
- Ginko Gold Clarity Milk – This is a creamy cleanser that moisturizes as it cleanses. It contains ginko biloba to help improve circulation in the skin as well as provide anti-fungal and anti-bacterial benefits, rose to calm and hydrate, calendula for antioxidants, squalane to help improve cell regeneration and glycolic acid to exfoliate. This is probably one of my favorite milky cleansers as it cleanses skin while leaving it super soft and moisturized. I like to use this in the morning as I prefer to double cleanse with a foaming cleanser at night. $24.20
- Agave Gold Refining Toner – This toner is different than any I have tried as it’s texture is more gel-like than liquid. It’s also packed full of amazing ingredients like blue agave, aloe vera, bilberry fruit, amla fruit, totarol, hyaluronic acid, 24 carat gold, carnosine and bisabol to help tighten, firm, clarify, hydrate and infuse the skin with vitamins and minerals. I like to pour a bit in my hand and apply like I would a serum. It’s very moisturizing and cooling and my skin feels wonderful after using it. 🙂 $21.89
- Marine Collagen Repair Day Cream – This is my go-to when I want a light weight face cream that provides potent anti-aging ingredients while still helping to keep my skin breakout free. It contains ingredients like rose damascena water, narcissus jonquilla extract, arnica, tea polyphenols, collagen, hyaluronic acid, peptides and 24 carat gold to help fight inflammation, improve elasticity, help reduce wrinkles, and provide antioxidant benefits. $64.53
Good Earth Beauty is an online retailer that sells a veritable cornucopia of green beauty brands, ranging in shade, price point and popularity. There are also quite a few brands I have never heard of before, which is always exciting as it means I get to learn about or discover potential new faves! 😀 See here for full list of brands they carry.
They also have their own line of products, which I was generously gifted a few to sample.
- Aloe, Coconut Milk & Honey Facial Cleanser (dry skin) – Dry skin will love this lightly foaming cleanser that is filled with nourishing and hydrating ingredients like aloe, jojoba & apricot oils, chamomile, coconut milk, honey, and propolis. Because it is so moisturizing and doesn’t contain sulfates, it won’t strip the skin, but rather leaves skin feeling soft and pampered. $16
- Orange Sugar Facial Cleanser (oily skin) – Formulated for oily and acne prone skin, this cleanser contains rosehip & borage oils, oregano, tea tree and orange peel to fight acne and control oil without being drying. It’s lightly foaming like the dry skin formula and leaves skin feeling soft, not tight after cleansing. $16
- Serum Facial Beauty Elixir Overnight Glow – I was only sent a small sample of this so I can’t really give an in-depth review of this, but what I can say is that with ingredients like olive squalane, immortelle, vitamin C and orchid extract, it makes me want more! What I did notice from using my little sample is that I barely needed to use any to cover my face and neck, it absorbs deeply and really hydrates well. $44
I’ve mentioned Ilike a few times here on the blog, but I wanted to give a bit more info on who they are and why I love them so much, as well as the products I am obsessed with!
Ilike was started 60 years ago in Hungary by facialist & herbalist Molnar Danielne, a.k.a. Aunt Ilike (or Ilcsi as she is known by Hungarians) who used her grandmother’s herbal recipes to make organic skincare. She believed that we are all children of Nature and that nature provides everything we would need to live abundant and beautiful lives. All of their products are formulated and processed in a way that maintains the vitality of the 150 organic herbs they use, and because of the uniquely rich Hungarian soil and a climate that is perfectly suited for agriculture, their herbs, fruits, and vegetables are extremely nutrient rich to begin with. Organically grown, hand harvested, hand selected and made in small batches, there is a lot of love and care that goes into each product. They are also vegetarian and mostly vegan-friendly, cruelty-free and non-GMO.
I’ve had the pleasure of trying a few different masks and moisturizers and though I love them all, there are a few that I am most obsessed with.
- Rosehip Gel Mask – Formulated for oily, acne prone and sensitive skin, this contains rosehip, honey, algae, and vitamins A, B, C, E, K and P to soothe and nourish as well as peppermint oil to control oil and to provide antiseptic and antimicrobial benefits. One of my current favorite anti-acne masks. $52
- Rosehip Whipped Moisturizer – This is one of my favorite moisturizers to use when my skin is broken out or feeling a bit on the sensitive side. It contains raw organic rosehip, as well as lots of vitamins, minerals and fatty acids to hydrate, nourish and calm reactive skin. Its rich, whipped texture absorbs without feeling greasy, but still moisturizes really well. Like all of Ilike’s products, a little goes a very long way to get the job done. $68
- Hyaluronic Time Erase Complex Gel Mask – I only have a trial size of this (generously filled I should add), but because so little is needed it’s been lasting me awhile! This is my go-to when my skin is feeling a bit more dehydrated and needs some serious moisture and plumping! Packed with skin goodies like hyaluronic acid, horsetail, ginko, algae, vitamins, minerals and polyphenols to name a few, this mask really does help to restore moisture & plumpness to my skin when it’s parched! $68
- Hyaluronic Time Erase Complex Moisturizer – This has been my favorite anti-aging moisturizer for a few months now and I don’t see the love fading anytime soon! Made with hyaluronic acid and a unique botanical blend to help replenish the skin’s moisture barrier, plump and firm skin and help reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, this moisturizer is truly one of the best I’ve ever tried. The texture is very rich, but it doesn’t leave an oily residue, but rather skin feels hydrated and soft. Read my full review of this here.
Have you tried any products from any of these brands? Which are your favorites? What products should I try next? Let me know below!
Peace & love,
*All product listed was sent to me for review consideration. All thoughts and opinions are my own. Post contains some affiliate links.